11.03.2011

Vegetable Enchiladas


After a long day of cleaning house, I decided to make vegetables enchiladas! This is one of my favorite recipes although I have no idea how I came across it. I tend to avoid recipes that require thawing out frozen foods, shredding cheese, constantly whisking and destroying my kitchen but this recipe is worth it!

Vegetable Enchiladas

2 T olive oil
2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 C all-purpose flour
1/4 C tomato paste
1 can (14.5 oz) low sodium vegetable broth
3 cups of grated pepper jack cheese
1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained & rinsed
10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed & squeezed dry
10 oz frozen corn kernels, thawed
Tortillas

Make sauce: 
Heat oil over medium heat. Add 1 tsp cumin, 1/4 C flour and tomato paste. Cook, whisking continuously for about 1 minute. Whisk in broth & 3/4 cup water and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer & cook until slightly thickened, about 5-8 minutes.
amazing enchilada sauce! (and I'm extremely picky)

Filling:
Combine 2 cups of cheese, beans, corn, spinach, & 1 tsp cumin.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly oil dish. (There was so much filling I used a 9" by 9" and a 13" by 9" pan)

Top tortillas with 1/3 cup filling & roll up.

Sprinkle remaining cheese on enchiladas & top with sauce.

Bake uncovered until hot & bubbly 15-20 minutes. 

*edited to add: I found this recipe in my online recipe book...my original source for this recipe was http://crepesofwrath.net/2008/12/04/vegetable-enchiladas/

No comments:

Post a Comment